I came across this recipe in the Detroit Free Press and decided to try it! It was SUPER easy, fast and only took a couple of dishes! **If you don't like spinach, don't use the whole bag. I would also recommend to use a little less lemon juice than it calls for. Next time I am going to add more chicken (I used about a pound).**
Ingredients:
1 to 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 Tbsp. EVOO
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 Cup all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. chopped garlic, or to taste (I used about 3 medium cloves and used the garlic press)
1 package (12 oz) frozen leaf spinach
8 ounces sliced mushrooms (I used fresh)
2 Cups grated zucchini, optional (I did not use zucchini)
1 Cup fat free milk
1/3 Cup lemon juice
4 Cups whole wheat penne pasta (I used a whole box)
1 Tbsp. capers, drained, rinsed well (I didn't use capers, but wished I would have)
1/4 Cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions:
1) Cook pasta according to directions. Rinse and set aside.
2) Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes. Set aside.
3) In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. When hot, add the chicken cubes and cook until lightly browned and no longer pink. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle flour over the chicken, stir it in and cook about 1 minute. Add the garlic, spinach, mushrooms, and, if using, the zucchini.
4) Continue cooking until the spinach is wilted and mushrooms are partially cooked. Add the milk and simmer until the sauce thickens, stirring periodically. Stir in the lemon juice and simmer about 5 minutes.
5) Place 1 cup of cooked penne pasta in a serving dish and top with the chicken mixture. Sprinkle each serving with a few capers and top each with about 1 tablespoon of Parmesan cheese. **I tossed the pasta and spinach/chicken mixture together in a big pasta bowl, then added the cheese and tossed it again.**
No comments:
Post a Comment