Thursday, February 24, 2011

Who Needs Takeout?

I found this fried rice recipe on www.hungry-girl.com and knew I had to try it! You can find the original recipe on Hungry Girl's website, but I tweeked it a little. This is how I made it:
Ingredients:
Uncooked chicken cut into small pieces (I used probably 1.5 to 2 cups)
2 Cups cooked brown rice (I used brown minute rice)
2 Cups frozen carrots and peas (you can buy them packaged together)
1 Cup chopped mushrooms (I used fresh)
Scallions finely chopped (as many or as little as you like)
1 egg (We used 2 because Kate really likes eggs)
1 packet of fried rice mix
1 Tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
1/8 tsp. ground ginger (we used about 1 tsp. of fresh ginger)
3 Tbsp. water
salt and pepper (to taste)

Directions:
1) Spray wok or pan with cooking spray. Add chicken to pan, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cook over medium heat. When almost fully cooked, add scallions, frozen carrots and peas, and mushrooms.
2) Cook rice according to directions. Put in fridge to cool.
3) Cook eggs in a separate pan and scramble.
4) In a small bowl, whisk together the fried rice mix, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, and 3 Tbsp. of water.
5) Stir rice and sauce mixture together. Add to wok with chicken and vegetables, mix.

Serve with egg rolls and edamame. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment