Monday, February 28, 2011

Vow Renewal, Wedding Part Deux, Whatever You Want to Call it.

We have been planning our wedding day since the day we got engaged Thanksgiving Day 2009. We asked our girls and guys to stand up with us on that day. We booked a reception hall, dj, etc. I even bought my wedding dress! Then, on June 13, 2010, our lives came to a complete stop. We found Kristian's orders on our doorstep after a whirlwind weekend in Michigan. After a few sleepless nights (probably mostly on my part, I couldn't imagine my main man being half way around the world), we decided to get married in an intimate ceremony knowing full well we would have some kind of celebration with our family and friends when Kristian returned. It has definitely turned into a "vow renewal and celebration". We want to recommit ourselves to each other and our life together. We want to share this with our family and friends that couldn't be there the day we legally got married. In the midst of planning this shin dig, I was looking up articles on vow renewals. I started to hyperventilate a little when I read (in almost every article) that this is not the time for a white dress, bridesmaids, bridal showers, bachelorette parties, etc. My mind started racing.."What?! I don't want people to think we are doing this just to get gifts or money. We are doing this so that we can renew our commitment to each other in front of our family and friends!" My question for all of you is: What is your take on this?

1 comment:

  1. Every girl deserves to have her dream wedding day and screw anyone who tells you shouldn't. The thought that you were just doing it for money and presents NEVER occurred to me. I want to see my cousins renew their vows and I want to see you in your wedding dress and your wedding party all gussied up and your second first dance. I wanna party it up with our families and friends and celebrate the fact that you guys are in love and want to spend the rest of your lives together. The fact that these articles are making you have second thoughts makes me want to cry. You should have your big wedding day reception and you shouldn't feel guilty about it at all. Love you, cousin! Stop reading those articles! ;)

    ReplyDelete